PFLAG New Orleans has, since 1982, been a bastion of assistance, acceptance, and love for the local LGBTQ+ community. Our mission is to provide Support, Advocacy, and Education; we can certainly use the help of volunteers and interns in each area, with these opportunities:
- Restarting contact with former members, PFLAG Scholarship Recipients, donors, and social media followers to build our network,
- Assisting with Social Media accounts: posting/retweeting applicable content, engaging followers, and encouraging sharing of posts,
- Assisting with in-person events: for instance, Gay Prom, Pride Run, and Annual Scholarship Reception,
- Assisting with the production of the monthly newsletter,
- Helping run virtual and in-person support meetings (attendance runs 25-50 people, monthly), and
- Distributing literature, flyers, and promotional materials to schools in this area, encouraging participation in the scholarship program and parental involvement in support meetings.
- Distribution of materials (which explicitly do NOT and cannot endorse specific candidates) at public locations, through social media, and at public events,
- Working with our Outreach Coordinator at speaking engagements on tv or on our weekly radio show, Expanding the Rainbow,
- Helping develop our variety show podcast,
- Entering data of contact names, numbers, and email addresses from a variety of PFLAG historical sources,
- Finding new areas that will allow us to distribute advocacy materials, and
- Using our learning library to learn about success methods, pitfalls to avoid, and the importance of diversity to be prepared for events.
- Assisting Outreach Coordinator, Support Chair, and other chapter leaders to create engaging presentations and materials,
- Creating (with our Canva account) graphics for use on our website,
- Researching books, articles, and movies to recommend to PFLAG NOLA followers,
- Helping with presentations at schools, conferences, and other events,
- Developing materials (with the aid of PLAG resources) that will be useful, educational, and applicable to current topics, and
- Delivering short presentations on a featured topic at a support group or other meeting.
PFLAG New Orleans can work with you to track time volunteered, areas worked, and project progress; we can also provide a certificate of completion. Most of all, there is no substitute for the feeling of satisfaction you will have after helping those in need and helping create a legacy that will last forever.